The pathways in the Gardens incorporate earlier layouts with the designs created in the late1800s. As well as the two principal pathways that traverse the Great Lawns, there are a number of other Georgian/Victorian pathways and Kings Henry’s Walk.
The paths on the far eastern side, paralleling King Henry’s Walk and that leading to the front of the old medieval Copped Hall have been restored but there is much more to do.
King Henry’s Walk was a tall yew tree, cathedral-like, avenue (the trees being felled in 1950 for their timber) and the oldest man made structure in the gardens, predating the Elizabethan house. King Henry VIII used this walk when staying at the old Tudor Hall.
Volunteers replanted the yew trees in 1998, as one of their earliest projects. The West Essex Archaeology Group have surveyed the path but it has yet to be restored.